Thursday, March 18, 2010

Interview and preview of Gin Hammond's Returning the Bones

Here's an interview from Freehold's Spring Newsletter, with Gin Hammond, author and performer of Returning the Bones.

Returning the Bones with Gin Hammond

Gin Hammond is an actor, writer, producer and Freehold faculty member. Gin's play RETURNING THE BONES is based on the true story of her aunt, an African American doctor, Caroline Beatrice Montier, (aka "Bebe") now 84. After being invited to finish her medical degree in Europe shortly after WWII, Bebe has to choose between staying in the South (and continuing to risk her life in the fight for Civil Rights), or escaping to Paris to live a life she's always dreamed of.


Gin, can you share with our readers what inspired and motivated you to write and perform Returning the Bones?

When I was growing up I hadn't heard much about my Aunt Carolyn (aka Auntie Bebe). We didn't grow up near any relatives. In my 20's, I realized how ridiculous it was that my nuclear family was pretty much all the family that I knew. I didn't like feeling cut off from my own history. I was compelled to find out more about where I come from. I was very nervous about facing rejection, about being the wierdo relative who shows up out of nowhere, but it was worth the risk. My Aunt Carolyn was very welcoming to me and generous with the family stories, and spending time with her made it easier for me to eventually connect with the rest of my extended family.

To read more, click here: Freehold Newsletter.

And watch a preview of Returning the Bones:




Gin Hammond performs Returning the Bones this Friday and Saturday (click on each day to buy tickets!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fans & Followers