Monday, March 1, 2010

Festival Focus: PIPA by Tamara Ober


Zenon Dance Company member, Tamara Ober, has worked with over 30 national and international, emerging and world-renowned choreographers, touring to New York, St Petersberg and Budapest.

She was awarded a Minneapolis Sage Award for Outstanding Performer for her work Pipa, which plays Theatre Off Jackson March 4, 5 and 6, as part of the Solo Performance Festival.

Pipa is a richly layered dance work, integrating dynamic movement, a beautiful musical sound score, video and spoken text. It tells the story of an accident prone girl who is unable to take the direct route to anywhere. Wandering the broken lines of a map between worlds of the appearing and disappearing, Pipa never ceases to risk it all.

"A stand out performer...Ober is a talent to watch." - Minnpost.com

"A versatile and creative artist in whom the gesture suggests a shared imagination and movement redefines the dimensions of an extraordinary fantasy world." -- Voir, Montréal.

"Ludwig Mies van der Rohe once said God is in the details. He might well have been describing Ober's meticulous choreography. When a dancer's feet are as expressive as her hands, you know you are witnessing something special." And when the exquisite denouncement began to unfold, I found myself holding my breath, wishing it would never end." - Montreal Gazette

"Pipa is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life...had me on the edge of my seat with my head in my hands and my mouth hanging open." "This is art in the greatest sense of the word."- CBC


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fans & Followers